Securing you home is a prime responsibility and there are various ways to achieve this. The home acts as a base from which most things are controlled and managed. It also stores valuables, protects family members and features various hard-earned assets.
Here are 10 home security tips that will help you keep your home and family safe amidst increased burglary and theft.
1. Start by changing all locks – When new in a home or have change maids or other personnel working in your home, change all the locks. You never know who else has access or knows the vulnerabilities of the existing locks. Changing locks will ensure you get rid of these obvious threats.
2. Install alarm systems – Alarm systems and outdoor cameras are cheap and readily available. They also provide another level of home security as anyone who trips the alarm is highly likely to be caught in the act. Alarms are also used to seek external help incase of forceful entry.
3. Conceal the wiring – Burglars and thieves are keen not to interfere with obvious alarm and security wires. Concealing them and installing inconspicuous security features is one good way to heighten security. It makes it quite easy for any unauthorized person to activate the alarm system and alert you.
4. Take advantage of fooling technologies – Many burglars stalk home owners and walk around to pry on those moments when there is no one at home. You can always use fooling technologies to give an impression that there is someone around the house even when everyone is actually away. Automatic systems that intelligently turn light and/or water for a short while are best in doing this.
5. Light your entrances up – One effective way to keep burglars away is use sufficient lighting on all entrances. You can even incorporate infrared technologies that turn focus to a particular place when someone is around or approaching.
6. Don’t do the obvious – Keeping your keys in the mailbox, under the door mat or around the home is a common trend that has been practiced for ages. It is quite obvious burglars will quickly learn your secret spot with a little bit of prying and then gain easy entry when no one is around.
7. Install the right peep hole – Home security is more than keeping burglars away and includes fast response incase of forceful attacks and false visits. The right height and type of peephole that only those inside can use to easily see who is outside can be very helpful.
8. Keep hinges inside – Install door and window hinges from inside the house. Hinges placed outside are easy targets as burglars can break them and use pins to gain effortless entry.
9. Use thick deadbolts – Dead bolds may be more expensive than latch locks. However, they are stronger and more difficult to break. Using deadbolt locks of at least one inch thick is highly recommended.
10. Protect windows – You can secure windows using metal bars and grills or even install invincible grills that are integrated with alarm systems.
There are various other ways of securing your home. Installing slide doors, small safes and several alert systems in different parts of the room where you may end up restricted to by buglers are some effective methods of improving security. The end goal of securing a home is ensuring buglers are kept off, and those successful to gain entry are caught in the process without any escape plan.